Luigi Filippo Tibertelli de Pisis, simply known as Filippo de Pisis, was born in Ferrara in 1896. He enrolled in the Faculty of Letters at the University of Bologna and made his debut as a poet by publishing the Canti della Croara in 1916: in the same year he met Giorgio De Chirico, Alberto Savinio and Carlo Carrà, soldiers in Ferrara, through which he adheres to the instances of metaphysical painting. He has devoted himself to painting since 1923.
In Rome he became friends with Armando Spadini and collaborated with the magazines Valori Plastici and La Ronda. In 1926 he moved to Paris and remained there until the outbreak of World War II: in the paintings of these years he reworked the impressionist lesson in favor of a personal narrative lyricism, animated by a vein of melancholic poetry. After a short stay in London, he returned to Italy and worked in Milan and Venice. In the same year he held a solo show, presented by Carrà, at the Lidel room in Milan. In 1943 he settled in Venice where his painting was influenced by eighteenth-century Venetian masters. It is in Venice for the XXV Biennale, the first after the war, that he dedicates a personal room with about thirty works to him.
In 1948 the first symptoms of the disease occur which will lead him to death. The last paintings are the mirror of his suffering: rarefied matter or dark colors express a profound mal de vivre. He died in Brugherio in 1956.