7 aprile 1883
26 febbraio 1966
Gino Severini was an Italian painter. Having arrived in Rome in search of fortune, he met U. Boccioni. He began to attend the study of G. Balla from whom he learned the divisionist technique by painting oils and pastels in the countryside and in the Roman suburbs. In 1906 he left for Paris, which became, despite long stays in Italy, his adoptive home country. He deepened his research by starting from naturalistic divisionism with the study of Impressionists and post-impressionism by G. Seurat (The Seller of Ciambelline, 1908, Paris, Coll. Severini). On the basis of chromatic decomposition, he adhered to Futurism in 1910 and developed an expressive solution that proposed an original, non-eclectic syncretism of various avant-garde demands (Fanciulla + street + atmosphere, 1913, Rome, Gall). S. Futurist could thus look at the Orphism, and later, as a synthetic cubist, collaborated with De Stijl. At the first Parisian exhibition by Bernheim jr. (1912) Severini exhibited the Boulevard (1910, London, E. Estorick Coll.) and the Dance of the Pan-Pan al Monico (destroyed in a fire and re-done by the painter in 1959). In the following months he painted the Blue Dancer (1912, Milan, Coll. R. Jucker) and Spherical Expansion of Light (centrifugal) (1914, Milan, Coll. R. Jucker), then moving on to freer techniques such as collage and painted words (The Armored Train, 1915, New York, Zeisler Coll.). Severini was among the artists who foretold the return to Classicism of the twenties (Maternità, 1916, Mus. Comunale di Cortona) and sought an approach to the Italian twentieth century (Natura morta, 1929, Rome, Gall.). However, he renounced the lesson of G. Braque and P. Picasso. Around the 1940's he returned to a Neocubist painting origin and opened to the demands of geometric Abstractionism. He also made sculptures: metal surfaces with gears and steel springs. It is also worth mentioning his non-fiction work: Reasoning on the Figurative Arts (1936).